Put your hand up if you sneakily apply self-tan before you go to the beach?
Of course, we have all done it at some point. Who wouldn’t want to look beautifully sun-kissed while you lay on the sandy shore? It’s as important as wearing the perfect bathing suit.
If you don’t have the time to get an appointment at the salon, finding the right product to use at home can be tricky. With shelves filled with sooo many brands, varieties and tones it can be very overwhelming choosing the right one for you.
So how can you find the best self-tanning product on the market?
Even if you prefer to see a beautician and have an expert take care of your tan, it’s not always possible. Maybe you got an unplanned invitation for some beach fun or the salons are fully booked for weeks. It’s always a good idea to have some tanning product stocked away in your cupboard. I guarantee it will come in handy at some point!
Here are some tips to follow
- * When choosing the colour, go for one that is just a few shades darker than your skin. Try not to get overexcited by picking a really dark tan which may not suit your features and ends up looking unnatural
- * If you’re stuck choosing a tone, then try a product with colour correction as this will automatically adapt to your skin colour
- * Look out for a product that matches your skin type. Some are geared at dry skin, while others at oily skin so be sure to read the description carefully
- * If it’s your first time, why not browse the shelf for products that match your skin type and tone. Select a few and then check out reviews online and see what people are saying about those products
- * When you try a new product make sure you test it first on a small hidden patch of skin. It’s a good idea to make sure it’s right before you cover your whole body in it. You don’t want to be spending weeks hiding your disaster tan!
- I also recommend keeping your skin hydrated by moisturizing regularly. It will keep your skin happy and your tan looking great. Check out The Freedom State’s fantastic collection of skincare lotions.
You probably fake tan because you want to have that gorgeous skin tone without having to wait weeks or months getting a real tan. But there are other benefits to fake tanning.
1. Appearance – you can hide blemishes,scars and any skin imperfection. Fak tan makes your skin look smooth and flawless.
2. Mood – feeling confident and good in your skin makes you feel great! You can trick your brain into thinking you have just got back from a sunny vacation
3. Health – Most importantly, fake tan protects your skin so you can say goodbye to bad rays
Don’t underestimate how important it is to stay safe while you’re catching some rays!
In Australia, the sunlight is very strong so it’s super important we’re extra careful when we spend lots of time out and about.
Even if you’re one of those lucky beach babes with stunning olive skin, it’s so important to use sunscreen. You will be grateful when you’re older and you still have gorgeous skin.
No matter what sort of skin you have, always “slip, slop and slap” that sun protection on. Being exposed to lots of strong rays over time can make your skin dry up and turns it ‘leathery’.
A few things to keep in mind, while you’re making the most of summer…
- 1. Sunlight – It’s loaded with Vitamin D! I can tell you from experience ladies that it goes down after the ‘pause’ so get as much as you can
- 2. Enhanced mood – There is nothing more uplifting than watching the sun emerge from the horizon and shine in the sky. Natural light improving your energy and mood. There is also plenty of research proving sunlight can lengthen your life. The Ancient Egyptians must have got it right when they worshiped the Sun God Rah
- 3. Sunscreen – There are different types of UV rays. Make sure you chose to sun cream that not only protects from UVB but also UVA rays. UVA rays make your skin age faster. Often they will say broad-spectrum on the product – this is what you want!
It’s also a good idea to stay in the shade during the hottest hours and work on your tan in the morning and in the evening. If you are spending the whole day at the beach, it’s a good idea to invest in an umbrella you can hide under if the sun gets a bit too much.
The Beach People have some gorgeous umbrellas in their beach collection
Remember to always keep your skin protected and hydrated for the best tan results! If you like this article please leave your comments below ! And please check out some of my great links !